Joy's Red Cabbage Coleslaw w/lime dressing

Looking for a coleslaw recipe with a different twist? Here in Central America where I am living right now, the citrus fruit of choice for seasoning is lime. Since I grew up on lemons, drinking a refreshing glass of lime aide and squeezing lime on my fish took some getting used to, but I've grown to love the different flavor.

The locals also like to use lime for making salads. I stumbled on lime salad dressing while at a local neighborhood "potluck" party and found myself going back for seconds and thirds. After some experimenting in my kitchen I came up with this recipe and my own version of lime dressing. It's different, healthy, colorful and great for summer parties and picnics.  

Salad ingredients
1 1/2 cups of shredded red cabbage
1 cup fresh broccoli sprigs (optional)
1/4 of red onion, thinly sliced
1 med. carrot grated
2 tbsp of fresh cilantro chopped
2 tbsp of sunflower seeds


Lime Dressing
1-2 large limes (about 1/4 cup juice)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp brown sugar (or honey)
pinch of salt

Squeeze the lime juice into a small bowl, add the sugar and salt, whisk until sugar is dissolved, add the olive oil and whisk until well mixed. Limes vary in tartness, so you may have to make adjustments to the sugar. There should be just enough sugar to take the bite out of the lime, and not noticeably sweet.

Put all of the ingredients except the dressing and sunflower seeds in a medium-sized salad bowl.  Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until well mixed. Sprinkle the sunflower seeds on top. Chill for about an hour or serve immediately. Salad can be stored in a sealed container for about 1 day.  
~Joy


Comments

Popular Posts