Cheeseburger Pie Recipe

Friday has become Bake Day in my house.  Most Fridays, you can catch the aroma of freshly breaded or bagels coming from my kitchen. Some days, there are cookies, pies, and various sorts of breads or pretzels, too.  Because I am usually working in the mornings, I love a recipe that I can start and return to while I am taking a break. In the morning, I'll measure out the ingredients for bread, mix it up, knead it, walk away for a couple of hours to let it rise, come back shape it into loaves, set the oven and put in 30 minutes later.  Meanwhile, I might be mixing up a batch of cookies or making a pie crust.  In honor of baking day, I will be posting a family-tested recipe each Friday for you to enjoy.

For this cheeseburger pie recipe, I like to mix up my pie crust dough when I already have the flour out for other uses. Then I can store it in the frig or freezer and pull it out when I need it in a hurry.

This Cheeseburger Pie recipe is a favorite of my family, and if you have the pie crust already done, you can whip it together in about in 15 - 20 minutes (plus 30-35 minutes baking time). The pie crust recipe comes a 1950s Betty Crocker cookbook. I usually double this recipe, but one pie will serve 4-6 people easily.

Ingredients (per 9 inch pie) (6-8 servings)

1 pound lean ground steak
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 pepper, chopped
1/2 -3/4 grated cheddar cheese
2 tbsp ketchup
3 tsp Worcestershire  sauce
1 tsp
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 to 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tbsp olive oil
Optional 1/3 cup sour cream

Instructions

Prepare pie crust per instructions below.

Preheat oven to 375F.

In a fry or pan, saute the onions and peppers in olive oil.  Add ground steak and seasonings. Cook until brown. Drain any grease. Add the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce (and sour cream, if desired). If the meat mixture seems a bit dry, you can add a little more ketchup. Place the hamburger mixture in the prepared pie crust. Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese.  Put top on the pie and bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is lightly brown.  Serve hot.

Pie Crust 

Ingredients

2 cups plus 2 tbsp pastry flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup butter
6-8 tbsp cold water

In a bowl, sift the salt and flour together, add butter and with a fork work the flour into the butter (you can use your fingers if you prefer) until the butter is completely worked into the flour.  There should be no clumps of butter.

Gradually add the water and work it in until you have a soft, almost dry ball of dough.  The dough should not be sticky at all.  Split the ball into two (one slightly larger than the other). Roll the larger ball out to the size of a pie tin. The other ball can be rolled out for the pie top.  Pie crust balls can be prepared ahead of time and stored in air tight containers or rolled in plastic wrap.

ENJOY!


~Joy

Comments

Popular Posts