Being Thankful

Each Sunday morning after our musicians practice the songs we are going to sing in the worship service, we meet with the pastor, elders and others to pray. One of the "others" who always prays is an elderly woman from the nursing home next to our church.

Before continuing, let me explain something about this dear saint. We are not always sure where she is mentally. Sometimes she rambles on about things that make no sense. Other times, she is very aware. She arrives within minutes of the doors opening and always dons a bright red hat. She enjoys the music, the preaching and the fellowship, and we can always count on an "amen" or a "yes He did" during the sermons. One Sunday, she marched right up in the middle of the singing and joined the praise team.

Yesterday during our prayer time, as always, Amanda began to pray. Thank you, Lord, that we could get out of our beds this morning. Thank you for the piano players in all the churches everywhere. Thank you for ... (you fill in the blank). In short, Amanda is always thankful for something.

What is Amanda's life like? She lives in a smelly, old nursing home. Most of the people around her are senile. She doesn't have a lot of belongings, and who knows if she gets many visitors, if any. Frankly, her thankfulness puts me to shame.

Where did she get this thankful heart, I wonder? Why am I not this thankful? These thoughts overwhelmed me as I sat through the sermon freezing cold with the chills (I was coming down with some kind of flu bug) and later in the day when I was in bed so sick I could hardly move. Is there ever a time in my life when I should not be thankful? I can't think of one? Then why do I spend so much time complaining?

The truth is, I am not thankful, because I don't appreciate that even the breathe I breath is a gift from God. Sometimes I am so focused on the struggles in life that I forget the blessings, and I forget that God will turn the struggles into blessings if I just let Him.

Thank you, God, for dear Amanda, may you bless her.

Comments

Heidi said…
Amen.

I have enjoyed & been encouraged by your blog today. Thank you.

Popular Posts