Wealth or Poverty?

Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. (I Timothy 6:6-10, ESV)

A recent financial crisis in our family made me take another look at what the scripture has to say about wealth. Though my study was no where near exhaustive, I found a gem today while I was reading in I Timothy 6. The above verses, often used by those who say it is a godly thing to be poor, speak of the danger of loving money and acquiring too much wealth. After all, the love of money is the root of all evil. That is what the scripture says, right? Don't worry. I do agree that the love of money is the root of all evil. But I don't believe that the focus in this passage is on those who love money too much. This passage is about being content with what God has given us. If we have food and clothing, we should be content. Everything else (really) is just extra.

I remember a lovely family in a church I used to attend. They had many children and were living in a mobile home on one income that fluctuated. Though the mother never said anything about it to anyone, it was obvious that she felt bothered about what people in the church thought of her and her family. She had a good reason to feel that way. Many of the families in the church who were well to do looked down on her and in some cases austrosized her family, even though the children were always clean, neat and well-behaved. To these folks, the family was struggling financially, so it had to be the fault of the father who was not providing. In the case of this family, it could not have been further from the truth. The father was honest, hard working, and loyal to the Lord and the church. The children were always clothed and fed. The mother was a godly woman who loved the Lord and committed to praying daily for individuals in the church.

As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life. (I Timothy 6:17-19, ESV)

Again, this is really about contentment. The wealthy are to be content with what God has given them, because God "richly provides us with everything to enjoy." If He has blessed us in abundance of things, then we are not to think ourselves better for the having, but enjoy what God has given and bless others with our bounty.

Right in the middle of these two passages on the poor and rich, Paul stops for a moment and says: "Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses." Our focus then, is not to be on whether we are well off or poor, but on living a godly life and laying hold on things eternal. When we keep our eyes on Jesus, we are able to be content in what ever situation we find ourselves. Paul sums up this thought in another way in Philippians 4:11-13:

For I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
The secret to contement in any situation is "I can do all things through Him (Christ) who strengthens me. We find power to be content in Christ.
I end this with a word I heard on the radio the other day (I do not know the name of the preacher who said this). "God allows some Christians to be well off so that they can learn to give and share with others, and He allows others to be poor so that they can show the world what it is like to have an abundant life when you have nothing."

Comments

Popular Posts