Seeing clearly

The other morning while we were in a rush to get out the door to go somewhere (a usual occurrence at my house), I noticed that I wasn't seeing things too clearly, so I went on a search for my glasses. I looked in the two places where they should have been: the top of my dresser or on the counter next to the bathroom sink. They weren't there. I extended my search and checked out the counter in front of the coffee pot, the coffee table, and the top of my jewelry box. By this time, the girls were already hurrying out to the car. I glanced at the kitchen clock. I was now two minutes late leaving. With no traffic, I might make it to my destination on time. The search continued, and I was in a panic. I reached up to push the hair out of my eyes--I was wearing my glasses!

When do you know it's time for a new pair of glasses? When you are wearing them, and you still can't see clearly. Three months ago, I had my regular eye exam, and the eye doctor wrote me a prescription for new bifocals. The upper half of my glasses is just fine, but the bifocal needs adjusting. Not only that, the lenses on my glasses were smudged terribly. And where is that prescription for new glasses? It is still right where I put it when the doctor wrote it for me, in the zipper pocket of my purse. No wonder I couldn't see clearly.

As Christians, we have been given a new heart and a new perspective. Though we are still in our old bodies and still possess the sin nature, we have been given the Spirit of God who enables us see things clearly, as they truly are, not as they appear to be. Unlike my glasses which need updating periodically, because my eyes change, the Spirit of God does not change, He is all that we will ever need to see things clearly in this world. And, the Spirit of God cannot be lost. He is always with us.

However, we sin in our lives can allow the Spirit's work in our lives to become cloudy and dirty so that we cannot see things as they are. Not only are we seeing things blurry, but if we do not allow the Spirit of God to keep our hearts clean, we end up not seeing things at all. It's as if we had blinders over our eyes.

II Corinthians 3:12-16 (ESV) explains that spiritual blindness, and it tells us how to see clearly.

Since we have such a hope, we are very bold, not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face so that the Israelites might not gaze at the outcome of what was being brought to an end. But their minds were hardened. For to this day, when they read the old covenant, that same veil remains unlifted, because only through Christ is it taken away. Yes, to this day whenever Moses is read a veil lies over their hearts. But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

When we bold Christ the blinders come off, and we are transformed. Unlike my glasses, a temporary fix, this solution is permanent. When we behold the Lord, we are transformed from the inside out. Not only do we see more clearly, but we also become more like Him.

Comments

Popular Posts