Relativism vs. Christianity

Sancify them in the truth; your word is truth. (John 17:17, ESV)

In the past few days, I have been wrestling over a way to express something that has bothered me for a long time. Once again this morning, I attempted to write my ideas down and quit out of frustration. Why? Because the topic about which I have been thinking cannot completely be covered on this short blog, and I am no where near ready to write a book about it. I can not get it off my mind, so I will write about it anyway. What is that topic? 'Relativism and how it affects the way we view the world", or "Christian worldview vs. Relativism."

What is relativism anyway? The American Heritage Dictionary says: "A theory, especially in ethics or aesthetics, that conceptions of truth and moral values are not absolute but are relative to the persons or groups holding them." The American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy (third edition) says: "The doctrine that no ideas or beliefs are universally true but that all are, instead, “relative” — that is, their validity depends on the circumstances in which they are applied. "

It is obvious from these definitions that Relativism flies in the face of true Christianity, because true Christianity is based on absolute truth. We believe in right and wrong, black and white, true and false. God is truth. God's Word is truth. God is absolute; He does not change; His word does not change; He does not even falter. To the believer, it matters not what he perceives to be true; it does not matter what the world perceives to be true; what matters is what God says. All statements, all beliefs, all theories, hypotheses and ideas are measured against God and His Word. If there is error, it will always be on the side of humans.

Relativism denies the sovereignty of God and makes truth nothing more than what a man or woman perceives it to be. If I say the sky is purple, then it is purple, because I believe it to be purple. If I take something that does not belong to me, it is stealing only if I believe it to be stealing. When this is taken to a further degree, and it has been in recent years, laws no longer mean what they once meant. Documents such as the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights only mean what lawyers and judges determine they mean. Rather than going back to the original intent of the writers of these documents, judges and lawyers (and well-meaning politicians) read them through their own eyes. The result is that in many cases, the laws are interpreted to mean exactly the opposite of what the original writers intended.

Sadly, relativism has crept into our churches. It might start with issues regarding rules and guidelines set down by the denomination. The guidelines state one thing, but the leadership in the church (for whatever reason) wants do something slightly different. Because leadership does not want to be accused of not following procedure, they search said documents for some way around the guidelines. When questioned by members of the congregation, the reply goes something like this: "Well, that's what it says, but I think it can also mean this." In the last ten years or so, instances like this have made it all the way to the top courts of churches. Church leaders are squabbling over the meanings of well-established doctrines and guidelines. Many of these doctrines have been held to by the church for centuries.

The next downward step, and it's the worst, is when we begin to redefine God's Word to mean what we want it to mean. We look at some passage of Scripture that is particularly hard to accept, and instead of believing that God meant what He said, we begin to try to "worm" our way around it by redefining the terms. Would it not be better to simply tell God, "This is difficult for me to grasp and to accept. I believe You are Truth. I believe You are right. Please give me grace to trust and obey You, even though it is difficult for me."? It would be easier, if it were not for our sinful hearts.

Prone to wander, Lord I feel it.
Prone to leave the God I love.
Here's my heart O take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow!

I actually wrote a very long response to this blog entry by Ms. Baldwin. But I do not have her ability to adress a subject taht evokes such strong emotions in me with her grace and charm.

My response seemed mean at times and would have been politically incorrect to the extreme.

So, I'm going to think about this for a few days and maybe I'l try again.

But, I hope that Ms. Baldwin will addres this subject again. I know of no other doctrine that has done more damage in tbis country to the Christian faith, not to mention the damage it has done to other parts of our society.

I'll be looking for more!
Anonymous said…
Well, I've been away for a few days, but have continued to think about this topic. I was really hoping to get home and find that Ms. Baldwin had posted a clear summary on her topic of relativism that would put my mind at ease but, alas, she has remained quiet on the subject (and any other).

Ms. Baldwin didn't state this, but, since her first explanation for the rise of relativism dealt with the clergy, I must assume that she puts the majority of the blame there. If I'm wrong in this assumption, and I certainly could be, I apologise in advance. I don't attempt to speak for her. But for me, I do put much of the blame squarely on the shoulders of those whose job it is to "lead' the flock.

In other ares of church life I have often wondered at the lack of leadership of Pastors, elders and Deacons. Please don't let that statement put a picture in your mind of someone who sits back and looks for ways to be critical or to point out others' faults while ignoring my own. I make my own faulty contributions, but for the sake of this subject, I'm talking about official church leadership.

Iam most familiar with Southern Baptist church services so I have to speak from that perspective. In our churches, the Pastor is the ultimate (human) leader. It is his job to be the Undershepherd to the rest of us. He sets the tone for worship, in most cases reaching to every part of the service from the singing to educational efforts to how the offering is collected. Maybe you have noticed, as I certanly have, that whenever a Pastor feels his authority is threatened in some way, how he "tightens" his grip on the running of the church, thus becoming even more involved in every detail of the work.

Deacons, too, in our Baptist churches (is it any different with Elders?) are very reluctant to share their authority, feeling "called" to lead their sometimes wayward congregations in all things spiritual.

And, for the most part, this works quite well. After all, as congregations, we bring in Pastors that suite our style and preferences, and elect Deacons the same way.

Now, at this point, you may be wondering, "Just what has this to do with the topic at hand?". Its a valid question, and the main reason that I started adressing this last week and quit.

Because, it can appear that I am being overly critical of Church leadership. Even mean spirited. And I really don't mean to do that.

My point, if I am able to express it, is that we, as church bodies (and that's what we are!) elect leadership and then go into idle mode, expecting them to answer all the questions, solve all the problems, put out all the fires and gennerally make us happy with our worship experience.

And seeing this mandate from us, that's what they try to do. Unfortunately, its not as simple as that. Controversies arise; feathers are ruffled; and, when there is no other way out, DECISIONS HAVE TO BE MADE. Now, that's hard enough!! BUt, even worse, the decision necessary might not sit well with Uncle Bob (who after all is a charter member)or Sister Mildred (she's SUCH a sweet person!).

So the Pastor or the Deacon(s) do what they must do; they soften the blow somehow. Just a little. Nothing drastic. Dogma isn't altered; doctrine isn't affected. But, like Ms. Baldwin stated in her blog, "I know it says this, but since I know your intentions are pure as the driven snow, why can't it mean this?"

And it works!! And, if there is a point in my rambling, that's it. In an effort to make someone (Man) happy, the Word is changed. Ever so slightly.
(Thou shalt not surely die!)
The meaning is altered, just a little.
(Did God not say....?)

And when it works, (feathers are smoothed, egos and settled) it gets a little easier to use the tactic over and over.

And each time, a little more is lost. And pretty soon, compromise trumps statute, order wins over confrontation, convenience over Commandment. And under certain situations, almost anything is OK and acceptable.

Please don't see this as absolving us pew warmers of our responsibilities. I'm not saying that at all, but its just too broad a subject to cover at once. (And I know I've rambled!)

Its just that we all need to be aware of the real danger(s) of relativism because its a real danger. And its everywhere; in our Churches, our political system, our Society.

And its difficult to spot at times. And that's sad.

Thanks.
Joy Baldwin said…
Anonymous,

Thank you for your comments. I quite agree with you that church leaders are to be held somewhat to blame for the relativism that has entered the church. Congregations are as guilty for not knowing what God's Word teaches about leadership requirements, and so allows inadequate leaders to govern the church. It boils down to sticking to what God says instead of coming up with what we want. (Back to God is our Absolute Truth).

Popular Posts