Finally Finished?

After three long months of having my house torn up for remodeling, the work was finally completed last weekend. As much as I love remodeling, I love being finished even more, and this remodeling project came out as good or better than we expected.

Monday was a long day, and I had planned to start putting things away in the new music room. I walked down the hallway to my daughter's room to put something away and felt my sock getting wet from the carpet just outside the bathroom door. I felt around with my foot. It was a big wet spot. "Giiiirrls! Who spilled.." I stopped before I could say anything more. No one had used the shower recently. No one had let the puppy loose in the house. In fact, no one had been home long enough to do much of anything, let alone spill water all over the carpet.

I bent over felt around on the floor. The carpet seemed to be wetter the closer I came to the bathroom. I checked out the bathroom. There was a little water on the floor near the vanity, but not more than a few little spots. My first thought was water coming up from under the pipes that run under the house and up to the bathroom. I immediately thought about having to pull up the carpet and repairing a water-damaged floor. My heart sunk. (Please, not that!) I opened the door to the vanity and started to take things out. Everything was soaked. Then I saw it--a steady drip, drip, drip coming from the upper part of the cold water pipe. At least it wasn't coming from underneath the floor. I turned off both the hot and cold (just to be safe) and called my husband who was working late. Then I got my daughter to clean up the remaining mess under the sink.

As soon as my husband got home, he went into the bathroom to assess the situation. The cold water was leaking from the faucet. The verdict? The faucets needed to be replaced, the vanity was water damaged, the back wall was wet, but the floor seemed to be intact, and the carpet would probably dry out fine. We already knew that the sink needed to be replaced, so my husband decided to rip the whole mess out and start over again. (Secretly, I think he likes to have a project.)

So we are back at it again. The whole bathroom, except for the tub, is getting a complete makeover. As I write, my husband is laying new flooring, we are waiting for the new sink, (which had to be special ordered because of the odd space), and we are sharing the bathroom with our daughters. (Just like the old days! At least we don' t have to use an outhouse.) When will it be finished? Who knows, but I'm sure either something else will fall apart or my husband will have cooked up another project when this one is finished. I don't mind. Before long, I'll have a completely new house without having to move, and I'm making a lot of new friends at Lowes and Home Depot.



Comments

Popular Posts