Loved By God

On the bottom of my signature page on a Christian web forum I frequent are the words of Jesus, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27 (ESV). They sum up our responsibility to God and to those who live around us. If you have read this blog at all, you know that these words of Jesus are important to me. Our relationship to God should be to love Him will all of our beings. However, there is a another side to our relationship to God that I usually overlook.

As I was waking up this morning and contemplating what I needed to do for the day, I thought of someone to whom I was very close who went home to be the with Lord. Usually when I think of lost loved ones, I become sad. I feel the emptiness that is left, and I find myself wishing they would come back to life and be with me again. This time, however, I was not overcome with sadness. Instead, I remembered how much I was loved. I felt a sense of joy come over me thinking about how pleasant it was to be loved and appreciated.

If you have ever been in love, you know what I'm talking about. Just knowing that someone has singled you out, that they love you and care for you changes everything. You feel more confident, your step is lighter, you smile, you begin to take care about your behavior and your appearance. Many people in love even look younger.

Do you know that God loves you? To a believer that question almost seems silly. Of course, God loves us. He sent His Son to die for us. Most of us have little trouble accepting that truth. But, do you really believe that God loves you? Do I really believe that God loves me?

As I thought about how good it was to be loved, I thought, "God loves me more than that." Then, sadly, I doubted it. Does He really love me more than that? Knowing the depth of my sin, knowing my unfaithfulness to Him, knowing how quick I am to stray away from Him, knowing how easily I am turned to the pleasures and material things in this world, I find it difficult to believe. But, yes, God really does love me that much and far more than I can imagine."

If God had just sent Jesus to die on the cross for our sins, raised Him from the dead and fulfilled justice on our behalf that would have proven His love, but He went much further. He took on the role as our loving Husband (we are the Bride of Christ) and cares for us and loves us moment by moment. It wasn't just a one time thing. When God chose us, it was for an eternal relationship. He set His love on us and that love is everlasting. To understand that, to know that is what makes life worth living. The hymn writer, George Wade Robinson, put it well in this hymn.

Loved with everlasting love, led by grace that love to know;
Gracious Spirit from above, Thou hast taught me it is so!
O this full and perfect peace! O this transport all divine!
In a love which cannot cease, I am His, and He is mine.

Heav’n above is softer blue, Earth around is sweeter green!
Something lives in every hue Christless eyes have never seen;
Birds with gladder songs o’erflow, flowers with deeper beauties shine,
Since I know, as now I know, I am His, and He is mine.

Things that once were wild alarms cannot now disturb my rest;
Closed in everlasting arms, pillowed on the loving breast.
O to lie forever here, doubt and care and self resign,
While He whispers in my ear, I am His, and He is mine.

His forever, only His; Who the Lord and me shall part?
Ah, with what a rest of bliss Christ can fill the loving heart!
Heav’n and earth may fade and flee, firstborn light in gloom decline;
But while God and I shall be, I am His, and He is mine.

Comments

Popular Posts