Walk As Jesus Walked

One of my readers recently remarked that I haven't posted anything in awhile. I guess the old saying, "Time flies when you're having fun" might be appropriate here--or maybe not. In any case, now that there's a break in the "fun", it's time that I got back to blogging.

On Sunday evenings, I attend a little Bible study group. We are currently studying the book of I John. While reading through chapter two this past Sunday I was struck by a little phrase in chapter 2:6 "whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked." (ESV) It was the "walk in the same way in which He walked" that got my attention.

What does it mean to walk in the same way in which Jesus walked? Obviously, it is not saying that we should find out what kind of shoes Jesus wore, how long his stride was and whether He strolled or hurried from place to place when He walked. It means, of course, that we should live the way He did. But even the expression, "live the way He did" can be confusing. Does it mean that we should sell everything we have, live the life of an itinerant preacher and never marry? A close look at the Scriptures reveals that this is not the case either, though there are some who are called to live that lifestyle.

So what exactly does it mean to "walk in the same way in which Jesus walked" and "live the way He did"? Verse 4 and 5 of that same chapter give us a clue, "Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected." (ESV)

What are His commandments? Jesus told us in Matthew 22:37-40 “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” (ESV) Here we see the key to understanding what John was saying when He told us to walk in the same manner that Jesus walked. We are to love the Lord our God with all of our heart, soul, and mind, and we are love our neighbor as ourselves.

Loving God and loving our neighbor have more to do with our heart attitude than with a specific list of dos and dont's. If we love love God, we will not do things that displease Him. If we love our neighbors as ourselves, we will treat them the way we want to be treated. I find it interesting that
in the verses which follow, John discusses these two points in detail. He tells us to "love our brother" and that we are not to love the world (which is the same as not loving God with all of our heart, soul, and mind).

When we look at the life of Christ, we see that in all ways, He followed His own commands. He was intent on doing the will of His Father, and He lived His life strictly for others. The final act of His life on earth (before the resurrection) was to give His life as a sacrifice for others in obedience to the will of His Father. In this manner, we are to imitate Christ loving God our Father with all of our beings and loving our neighbors as ourselves.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is the third time I have read this rendering. The first time I read it, I thought, "This is so true and so simple it really doesn't need explanation, nor could any reply make it more clear."

But something nagged at me for days afterward about it. With no part did I disagree. And, being familiar with both the scripture and the message, there was nothing to add; no insight that 'brought it all together', no additional scripture reference to relate it to present day application. Nothing. But still, it nagged at me. So I just left it alone.

A few days later I read it again and, except for the obvious truths, I saw nothing spectacular about it. I mean, this is pretty basic stuff. To the lost it is oversimplistic, even. To thos eof us 'mature' Christians, it is a basic element of our faith, much like the idea of forgiving others as we would be forgiveen: difficult at times, necessary all the same.

So, I decided I was looking for something that just wasn't there after all. It was a good piece. It well written and self explanatory.

Tonight I read it again. Don't ask me why. I just did.

And I saw what it was trying to show me all along.

See, I'm not a novice at this. I'm no farther along in my journey of understanding than anyone else, I don't think, but I'm not new at this.

Thirty years a more or less active Baptist church member. Even during the couple of rimes I 'withdrew' from church attendance for a short while there was no change in any part of my belief system, my absolute confidence in the accuracy of the Word, or the certainty that my Rredeemer would complete the work He had started in me.

I mean, I KNOW what this passsage is saying. Walk as He walked!! (With His help, not depending on your own stength, etc., etc.)

So what's the problem? Its al about perspective. I've studied this before. I've taught it to adults in Sunday School before. I've thought about it alot. (Thank God for Mal 3:16)

But like some other things in life, I was sop close (figuratively) that I had stopped looking at it. But, as I am prone to do, I stepped away from it.

I am an electrician at heart; an electrician by trade. In construction and electrical work there are safety devices. You need them. Sometimes to do your job..sometimes to live. When you're six stories high running conduit on a structure, you want to be very close to your safety harness. When you're switching high voltage systems you don't want your insulated gloves in the truck. If your harness or your gloves are not with you, believe me, you know it.

And when you step away from the truth of Ms. Baldwin's article, you know that to. When you KNOW to walk as Jesus did....and you don't...
nobody has to tell you.

You look over and see His footsteps and yours aren't there. And you know for sure HIS aren't in the wrong place. But yours are.

Now, I'm not talking about major detours here (but it could happen). Maybe it was a careless word, a wrong thought. A touch of...pride?? A little white lie, maybe. Whatever it is, you'll know. It may not move the world, but it moves your foot prints.

The truth is, our HeavenlyFather knows this will happen. He makes provision for it. If we don't see it in time, or even if we ignore it, He'll remind us. His Spirit is good at that. And fithful.

It's been said that time isn't very important to God. But timing is. So when the time is right, He's there. Reminding us. And let me tell you something even more impressive...

Sometimes He's there AHEAD of time. Planting the seed. Showing the answer before the question is asked. Giving the solution before the problem arises.

That's what He did. He KNEW I was about to step away. Just a little. Not too far. But far enough to need His help. So He had this dear lady write this article. And He had me read it. Before I needed it. Again.

Thank You.

Popular Posts