Out the Window

We always seem to be in the middle of a building project at my house. First, it was the new deck on the front of the house (We had to have front porch; so why not a deck?). A few years later, we decided to build a chicken coop. My husband dubbed the project the "Chicken Hilton" and we christened it by housing it with 35 chickens.

A couple of years later when my second child was born, my husband decided that we needed more space, so he decided to add on an extra room. (I thought it was a good idea, too.) We added a very large room which became our office. Before long, the room began shrinking, and my husband suggested that we needed to add on again. This time, it was a two-story addition.

We hired someone to build the outer shell of a two-story barn like structure situated about ten feet from the house. My husband completed the inside. I helped out by painting and staining the walls and ceiling. Even my daughters pitched in by helping to paint the outside. The plan all along was to connect the "barn" to the house, but almost a year went by before we decided to finish the project.

About three weeks ago, my husband came home and announced that we now had enough money to complete phase II of the "barn" building project. Phase II is the ten-foot hallway/entryway connecting the "barn" to the house. As usual, the building design changed about 10 tens in the middle of construction, but as it stands today, we have a ten-foot by eight-foot wide hallway/entryway connecting our "barn" to the house. The outside structure of the hallway is complete, but there are few things on the inside that aren't complete. For one thing, the hallway ends at a window. The only way to get from the inside of the house to the "barn" is to crawl through the window or go outside and enter through the outside door. My youngest loves it.

The first morning after my husband finished the outside structure, my youngest came running into our room when the sun came up. "Mom, I'm going to go watch the sun come up, then I'm going to crawl through the window, and then, I'm going to eat my breakfast."

This phenomenon will only last a few more days. As soon as the electrical wiring is completely installed, my husband will cut a proper doorway, and we won't be crawling through the window anymore. To my daughters (and the cat who is enjoying the windowsill), that will be a sad day.

"You might be a redneck if" my husband said, "you have to crawl through a window to get into another room in your house."

Comments

Popular Posts