How Do You Become A Christian?

25 At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; 26 yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:25-30)

Jesus tells us how to become a Christian, one of His disciples, in these verses. Jesus said, "no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him." If anyone knows God, it is because God allows Himself to be revealed first. The next thing that Jesus said was this "Come unto me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." We will not come to Jesus unless we feel a need to come to Him. He is there for those who are burdened with the weight of their sinfulness, who know their spiritual depravity, the depth of their sin. Those who are burdened with that sin can come to Jesus and find forgiveness for their sin, and rest for their souls. "Come unto Me" he said. "Lay down the heavy burden of your sin and allow Me to give you My burden, because my burden is light.

Next Jesus said, "Learn from Me for I am gentle and lowly of heart." It is not the proud who can be disciples of Jesus. The one who comes to Him must realize that they know nothing, and therefore must learn from Him. He is God, after all. To learn from Him is to admit that we are nothing more than His fallen creatures who need to be restored and forgiven and taught.

To become a Christian, therefore, is not to take on a new religion. It is to abandon oneself to Jesus to become a learner of Him, to find forgiveness of sins from Him, and to take on His yoke, His burden. It is in this that we find real rest for our sin stricken souls. Do you long to know His rest? Do you long to become His disciple? Then bow your knees to Him, your Creator. Ask Him to be your Master, your Guide, your Teacher. He will lead you into all Truth and you will find rest for your weary soul.

Comments

Popular Posts