Commit Your Works To the Lord

Well, we have completed almost an entire week on our new schedule, and to my delight, this schedule-hating woman is actually loving it. We scheduled our school in the morning hours and our other activities in the afternoon. So far, my children are not rebelling (too much), and we are finding time to do the things we want to do.

Along these lines, I had a chat with a friend of mine yesterday who had her son at my home for a piano lesson. We discussed plans, organizing and making the most of what God has given us. Before she left, she slipped a piece of paper into my hands. "This has completely changed things for me in the last week." she said to me. "I won't say anymore. Just have a look at it." I was curious as to what was written on the paper, but I was in a hurry to get ready for my next student so I gave it a quick glance and tossed the paper on the kitchen table.

I finished up the few things I needed to do before leaving the house to go teach more lessons, got the girls in the car, and headed for the other side of town to the home of 3 of my students. After their lessons were completed, we set off the 2 miles to the home of 2 more of my students. By the time we were finished, it was dinner time, and I was tired. We made it home and quickly prepared a meal. My husband arrived in time to eat and take off with a friend to help someone install and set up computer. We cleaned up the dinner mess, and I got the girls settled down doing something productive. Finally I had some time to sit down and carefully read what was on the slip of paper. It had been in the back of my mind all afternoon.

Here is what it said:

"Pro 16:1-3 Commit 1) morning prayer. Make your list of things to do, but give them to the Lord because of Isaiah 55:8, 9"

OK, but what did that mean? Based on our conversation, I deciphered the message to mean this:

Proverbs 16:1-3 says this:

1 The plans of the heart belong to man,
but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord.
2 All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes,
but the Lord weighs the spirit.
3 Commit your work to the Lord,
and your plans will be established.
because of
Isaiah 55:8,9 says this:
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Because our thoughts are not God's thoughts, and our ways are not like His ways, we must commit all our work to Him and trust Him to establish our plans. It is all right to make plans and organize our lives, but we must realize that we have no ability in ourselves to set our feet in the right direction. So, at the beginning of the day, we tell the Lord what we have in mind for the day, and we ask Him what He has in mind. Realizing that we are not able to make right choices, we trust Him to change those plans which are not from Him and establish those that are His. Commit Your Works to the Lord, and plans will be established.

Comments

Funmi Foresythe said…
Thank you so much for this message. I stumbled over Prov 16:3 this morning on my way to work, it automatically struck me as one scripture to medidate on. I decided to research it and saw your message on it. I have been blessed today and indeed it is God that has ordered my steps to this scripture and your message.

Thank you and God bless you
Anonymous said…
I was in discouragement on my way to my work on this Monday morning. I was so torn in my plans and searching for God's plan in my life but as I search for His answer--He leads me on this message with this scripture. I realized that I was organizing my life again (making God just a back-up). I thank you for having been used by God for me to know His answer--That He is in control, i just have to put Him back at the top of my plans.
Nkemjika Ukeje said…
Thank you for being God's instrument in shedding light on this. I have stumbled upon this same text in Psalm 37:5. I saw it again this morning in Proverbs 16:3. I now have peace in my heart, knowing that my works and plans when committed to God will turn out just fine. God bless you.
Anonymous said…
Thank you very much. The Lord gave me this verse and I wanted to understand or confirm what the Lord was saying to me. It is exactly what the Lord had put in my heart. Thank you very much.
Anonymous said…
thank you!

Popular Posts