My Good Friend

News reached me early last week that my good friend, Peter, who had been ill for some time went home to be with the Lord. Peter's health problems were brought on by a lifetime of too much drinking. Liver problems combined with gall bladder cancer made his situation hopeless.

Near the end of his life, Peter came to know the Lord. His faith in Christ, especially at the beginning, was simple and naive, much like that of a young child. It was that childlike faith which he never lost, not even at the end, that left such a deep impression on me. Throughout the few years that I knew him, I saw his faith grow and his understanding and love for God deepen.

Peter and I shared a lot of common interests, and I spent many hours talking and sharing with him via that miracle of technology, the web cam. Peter grew to know and love my husband and children and take a vital interest in them. He prayed regularly for them, and the last time I spoke with him, his deepest concern was not for his failing health, but for us. I still remember the sigh of relief I heard in his voice when I told him that things were well.

Peter had a difficult life. He lost his precious mother at a young age, and his father foolishly married a woman who was unkind to Peter throughout the remainder of his life at home and on into his adult life. His wife of many years, left him for one of his good friends, and the home he thought he would inherit from his father was left to his stepmother and stepsister. Our friendship broadened my understanding of those who struggle with alcohol abuse and made me realize that not everyone who is a believer is perfect right from the start.

Peter loved God's creation. He loved horses and gardens, oceans and mountains. He was fond of history and spent hours with his long time friend visiting and photographing castle ruins. He loved fine art and music and dance, good books, movies and poetry. He loved good food and was knowledgeable in the art of cooking. No recipe he gave me ever failed to make my guests come begging for more. He was a fine motorcycle mechanic and worked long hours at the shop until he was no longer able to do so. Peter could tell a good story and always seemed to be interested in others.

When I think of Peter's life, it saddens me to see the sorrow, the struggle and the grief which he endured, but I am thankful that he came to know the Lord. I am thankful for the friendship that we had, and I am grateful that he is now with the Lord praising Him forever.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The amazing thing about someone like Peter to me is that, with all his interests, talents and years, he still had a portion of his heart available for the Holy Spirit at the end. And even more amazing, the Patient, Loving, Merciful God that we trust, even at that late hour, applied all of His Grace to Peter's repentant heart. What shall we do if we neglect so great a salvation?
Thank you, Peter, for your huge witness to someone you never knew.

Popular Posts