I'll Rest in Christ

In our Sunday evening Bible studies at the church I am attending, we are going through the book of Galatians. In Galatians, we learn that Christ is our righteousness and that no work of the law that we can perform can make us righteous. Christ lived a perfect life and fulfilled the law for us. All we need to do is trust in His accomplished work, for we are clothed in His righteousness. When God sees us, He sees Christ.

I found this lovely hymn today while perusing the Reformed Praise Website. The hymn is based on words by Isaac Watts, the words were adapted by David Ward. David Ward also wrote a lovely tune to the hymn which can be found on his website.

I’ll Rest in Christ

No more, my God, I boast no more
Of all the deeds that I have done;
I leave the hopes I held before
To trust the merits of Your Son.

Chorus:
So I’ll come to You and rest
From my so-called righteousness.
I will cease my striving and put my hope in Jesus.
Trusting in His work for me.
I’ll rest in Christ.

By sov’reign love I bear His name,
What was my gain I count my loss.
My former pride I call my shame
And nail my glory to His cross.

The finest works of my own hands
Dare not appear before Your throne:
But faith can meet Your law’s demands
For Jesus’ deeds are now my own.

Comments

Popular Posts