House Cleaning

Have you ever watched one of those clean house shows on TV? I'm speaking of the ones where a team goes in, cleans out all the junk in one or two rooms, has a big yard sale and then redecorates the once messy rooms. I watched one such show a few weeks ago and laughed so hard that it hurt, not because the mess was so funny, but because the two people in the show were holding on to their junk like some of the members of my family. No one wants to throw anything away, sadly, me included. It was funny, but I had a sense of guilt as I thought of the growing pile of junk in the room once dedicated to be my music room.

Today, I put my foot down and told my youngest daughter that she could not play with her friend until her room was clean. Feeling a bit guilty because I've spent more time in here typing blog pages and reading news articles than keeping after her mess, I volunteered to pitch in and help. One thing led to another, and before I knew it, I was tearing into the mess in the "music room", my other daughter is rearranging her bedroom, and my youngest was still digging through the mess in her room. I think we need some of those experts to come and help us out!

As much as I dislike sorting through messes (that's probably why things get so bad), I believe it is a good thing now and again to go throw things and get rid of what we don't need. We Americans, especially, are terribly about accumulating things, and Walmart and Target are more than happy to help us fill our homes with useless junk. The sad thing is, most of these things only collect dust, and they do not last.

As I ponder the mess in my house, I am reminded of Jesus' words in Matthew 6:19-21 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." God grant me the grace to let go of my earthly treasures and focus on laying up treasures in Heaven.

Back to work!


Comments

Popular Posts