Friends

One of the things that I dislike about the English language is not always precise. When we say that we love someone, we might mean that we adore them above all others, or we might mean that we are fond of them, or we might mean that we like them a lot. Another word like that is the word friend.

Here are some definitions of
friend I found in my online dictionary:

1. "A person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile."
2. "A person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard."
3. "A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade."
4. "A person whom one knows; an acquaintance."
5. "A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts."

I said to a lady on the phone the other day, "I don't have many friends." After I said that, I thought she might have been insulted and began to clarify myself. You see, she was my
friend according to definitions #3 and #5. What I meant was that I don't have many friends according to definition #2. The truth is that when it comes to friends defined according to #1, #3, and #4, I have quite a few friends. There are also quite a few people who are my friends according to definition #5. (Are you good and confused?) When it comes to people to whom I am attached by feelings of affection and personal regard. I must say I have hardly any friends.

Friends to whom we are attached affectionately are rare. They are the ones you meet and feel as though you've known your entire life. Time does not affect the friendship. Whether a day, a month or a year passes between meetings, things are always the same. You just pick up where you left off. Friends who are like that have total trust in one another. Secrets are safe, faults are safe, and your reputation is safe. If you find a friend like that, don't let go of them.

Comments

Popular Posts