Work to Give

Have you ever wondered what you wanted to be when you grow up? According to the law, I've been a grown up for over 25 years, yet I still sometimes ponder this question as if I were a child thinking about it for the first time. It seems there are some people who've known what they wanted out of life before they were 10 years old, and from that point on they were driven to accomplish that goal.

I did always know I was going to be a musician. From the first time I sat down at a piano, I knew I was born to make music, and I have been "making music" my entire life. But to become a great musician has never been a goal in my life. I happen to be a mother, a wife, a follower of Christ, a friend, an artist, a writer. But I didn't decide to do these things, they seemed to have been the "next thing" that came along as I've traveled on the road of life to the one goal I do have, eternity with Christ. Even so, I wonder how all these things fit together and for what purpose I've been so blessed. "What am I supposed to be for the rest of my life?"

An answer came to me in a strange way yesterday while I was sitting in church listening to a sermon on giving. Instead of the usual, "You should give one tenth of your money to the church," the pastor spoke about the heart attitude behind giving. He reminded us that we are not to be covetous of other people's money and possession. Giving is something we do out of gratitude for what God has done for us. He reminded us to be people who give of our time, our talents our possessions our money. I had heard all this before and believe it to be true.

Then his sermon took a surprising twist. He said this, "We should work to give."
He spoke of the famous preacher Charles H. Spurgeon who, among his other great achievements in life, kept chickens. He and his wife sold the eggs from their chickens and were often criticized because they would not give away the eggs, even to their friends and family. After the death of Mrs. Spurgeon, the truth behind the egg selling came out. The Spurgeons were using the money from the eggs to support two widow women. The Spurgeons were working to give.

What does it mean to work to give? It means that we work to provide for ourselves so that we will not be a burden on others, and then work so that we will have an abundance to give to others. In every way, our lives should be pouring out the blessings that God has bestowed on us.

For years, I have prayed that God would give me a place where people could come and be restored and blessed, a retreat center of sorts. I've prayed and prayed, but a quiet voice inside me said, "Are you working to toward that? Are you working so that one day you can give?" Truly, I had not. I'd been so wrapped up in the little affairs in life that I never considered taking things a step further.

So what do I want to be when I grow up? I want to be one who is known for working to give, generous in every way, not just in money, but in time, talents and possessions. May God make it so in my life.


Comments

Popular Posts