A Brave New World & Helium.com

A few days ago, my husband introduced me to Helium.com. In 4 days I've written 7 articles, posted 3 of them along with my favorite recipe for French style vinegrette dressing, and I've made a total of $.07. Wow!

For the last 20 years of my life, I've had aspirations of becoming a successful writer. It all started when I was living in France in the 1980s. Vonage and the internet were not around back then, and I could not afford the phone calls to the United States, so I wrote letters, lots of letters. Those letters to my family journaled 2 and 1/2 years of the life of a poor, single woman in a foreign country. I was hooked.

Not long after my sojourn in France, I took a 9-month side trip to England. While walking along the shores of Rydal Water in the Lake District (home to William Wordsworth), I met a woman, a published author of children's books, who wanted to know if I was writer, and if not, what I was doing pondering over the lake that William Wordsworth knew so well. I told her my sad story (It's a tear-jerker, believe me.), and she said "You should write a book. " "I'm too old to write," I told her. "You're never too old to start writing," she replied. "I published my first book just after I turned 40." I didn't take the woman seriously at the time, but I have not forgotten her words. They ring in my ears every time I sit down to write.

In the early 1990s, I worked for a well-known university as an administrative assistant A graduate English student (who happened to be the editor of the university's literary journal) read a couple of my short stories. Next thing I know, one of my stories was featured in the journal he edited. It now sits on the back shelves of the univerisity's 9-story library gathering dust. So much for a writing career.

The next writing project that came along was political in nature, mobile home and tax laws to be exact. Now there's some writing that will put you on the New York Times Best seller list! I was the writer and editor of the Pickens County Taxpayers Association newsletter. Month after month, I sat down at my computer and spit out short articles on the injustices of overtaxation. It was a way to vent, and the organization needed me. But by the time my second child came along, my time was stretched too thin. I was the church music director, teaching piano, leading a 4-H group, had a baby in diapers and was trying to homeschool my oldest child. I handed my volunteer writing and editing job to someone else.

When I quit my job at the university, I told my friends that I was going to have children, raise goats and write my book. Well, I'm raising my children, but the goats are no where to be seen, and the book...well, I've written three chapters on a mystery for pre-teens (I started that last year, and it's still not done), and my computer is loaded with 1 and 2 page articles that no one has read, which brings me back to Helium.com and my blog.

If I am going to spend so much precious time writing things down, I may as well have an audience, even if it is only an audience of one. This is a new chapter in my life. I'm launching out into the internet world and bravely facing all that comes along with it.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. In the days ahead, I will write about what I know best: music, spinning, books, writing, teaching, family and most important my faith in God (I might even tell you my tear-jerker story.). If these topics interest you, please visit again or read my articles on Helium.com. And if you have a hankering for a delicious French Vinegrette Dressing, you can find my recipe on Helium.com.

Joy



Comments

Popular Posts